Tea and biscuits with Bills
This month, Phon is joined by singer and songwriter Bills, a new artist with new sounds who has already proved to be going places. 18 year old Corinne Bills, a student in London, has been drawing a lot of attention to herself via her performances in pubs and her videos on the internet. Corinne's unique music is just what we like to hear here at Phon, so we thought we'd get her in here for a chat and a cuppa.
Thanks for coming in Corinne, it's a privilege to have you here. How many sugars?
Three please. Thanks for having me!
So, you're hot-stuff at the minute. What's it like to be such a success when you're so new to the music scene?
Well, I can tell you now that I didn't expect any of this! I only perform in pubs and local venues, and my online videos never seemed to be getting much attention until recently. A few smaller labels have already said they want to sign me and I'm being offered gigs daily! It's all too much! [laughs]
Where is it that you've developed a large fan base? Wasn't it-
Poland!
Poland, yeah!
[both laugh]
Who would have thought?!
That was probably the biggest shock. I get lovely emails everyday from my Polish fans telling me how much they love my music, it's so flattering, even if they are hard to read sometimes.
Ah, let's take a moment for those learning English as a second language.
[3 seconds of silence]
Can I have another custard cream?
Help yourself!
Thanks.
So, when you're not making music, what are you doing?
... Erm, reading, mostly. I adore reading. It inspires a lot of my work. My mum owns an embroidery shop and she used to get me to help to hand-embroid things for her. Some of it sunk in, despite my best intentions, so I find myself embroiding cushions and what not.
What a skill to have. I hear you've always lived in London, what's that like?
Great! Well I don't really know anything else, so I guess I would say that. I'm very happy there though, I've just got a new a apartment with my partner.
Oooh, your partner eh?
Yeah, my cat.
[Both laugh]
2014, what are your hopes and fears for the new year?
Ah well, my hopes are that of every artist- to be successful and well regarded. I love what I do, not in a 'music is my life' way, but I love writing and composing my songs. Each one holds a lot of meaning and emotion to me.
I think it's fair to say that you're already a success! And it's not just you that finds your songs meaningful and emotional.
So I've heard, yeah! My fears for the year... Well it's just one fear really. I'm terrified of failure. I'm such a perfectionist, I won't sleep until I'm satisfied that whatever I've produced isn't crap. Sometimes I won't start something because I don't think I can make it work, and I procrastinate an awful lot too. It's a wonder I've made it this far!
I'm sure we can all relate. Tell me about your music.
My music. I find it hard to describe something so personal. If I had to pick a few words I'd say thoughtful, curious, absorbing, charismatic, and just a bit different. My music varies a lot, depending on my mood really, or things that have happened. Sometimes I'll make happy songs, but if I've spent too much time alone, I'll produce a really miserable song.
'No more' made me cry.
Sorry about that. Yeah, I'd just lost my favourite fridge magnet when I wrote that one.
Fridge magnet? Really?
Oh yeah, yeah. I harvest any emotions I feel, then exaggerate them until I've created something that sounds really heartfelt, but with 'No more', the lyrics can still be applied to losing a fridge magnet.
No way... Oh, you're right! You've sang it so beautifully, it sounds like it's about love, everyone says it's a heart-breaker of a song!
I guess it worked then.
You could say that! Wow. I also love your new song 'Cotton Socks'. Not nearly as sad.
Cotton socks is definitely happier. It's being released next month and will be available on iTunes.
I can't wait. Your name then, Bills, what made you pick this?
No reason other than because it's my last name. I don't want an extravagant, showy, name because I'm not an extravagant, showy person, I'm just Corinne and my music is also just Corinne.
Nothing to do with paying bills then [laughs]
Everything's to do with paying bills, isn't it?
[Both laugh]
Thank you for your time Corinne, good luck in the future and with the new release, I'm sure it will also be a huge success.
Thank you, I hope so too. Can I have these? [pointing at biscuits]
Sure thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment