Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Evaluation Question 5 draft

EVALUATION ACTIVITY 5
How did you attract/address your audience?







I think my audience would buy my magazine because the graphology would appeal to them. The oversized text on the cover is eye-catching and the simple layout throughout is not 'busy' and gives a calm, relaxing feel to the magazine . 
As an indie/alternative audience, they are always on the look out for things that are somewhat out-of-the-ordinary, which my magazine is.

I used my target audience of 'indie scenester's' likes and interests to improve the amount that my magazine appeals to them. Indie scenesters are always on the look out for new and upcoming artists. I included a feature on the contents page of my magazine titled 'Going up', which would be a section of the magazine devoted to these artists which my target market are interested in, so upon reading this, my audience would want to continue reading.

My audience are fans of indie artists, and I have styled my artists to conform to the appropriate genre conventions e.g. through clothing choices. The age of my artist is also within the age I am targeting my magazine at, so an artist of a similar age as my readers may make my magazine more relatable to my audience than if the artist was not of  a similar age.

I used some of the conventions of other successful indie magazines, including a simple layout for each page, and pictures that are typical of my genre (angles, filters, backgrounds).

A way I aimed to attract and appeal to my audience was by deliberately not including features that would make my magazine seem over-commercialised, as if it is trying too hard to sell itself to the viewer. Adding familiar symbols of social networks and writing 'Follow us on Twitter!!!' would have done this, so instead I only included the magazine's website address in the bottom corner of each page, branding each page without demanding attention from readers on social networks. I did this in hopes that it would make my magazine seem refreshing, and not 'just another music magazine', full of clichés etc.

I think my language use would also appeal to my young audience. My language register is informal, which naturally makes it more entertaining so they would enjoy reading it more than other magazines of the same genre. It also creates a more friendly tone. I have used colloquialisms and slang to further appeal to my intended audience as they are language features commonly associated with being included in their sociolect.


No comments:

Post a Comment